Published 2013-08-23 19:35:29
Updated 2013-08-25 12:15:14
30 likes needed to become featured
0 likes, 0 dislikes
So, I've dusted this code off, after it's been sitting in github for, like, a year and put it on a server again. I've fixed a few things that were broken (most notably, account creation) and made some minor enhancements. I'm resuming work on the site. If anyone reads this, pleasecreate an account, log in and give me suggestions for what you'd like to see here!
I'll probably work on image support next. Maybe. I'm not going to host the images myself, I'll put them on Amazon's CloudFront. I also have to make sure they are sized properly to make sure they don't nuke the site layout. I also want to strip out all exif data from images before storing them. So... that's going to take a bit of back-end work.
To-do (not exactly in order):
- add a "your discussions" list
- come up with a better default site design.
- add a good mobile css design
- private messaging
- invite-only discussions
- look into all caps tags causing problems
- show only first paragraph of featured discussions? with read more…
- fix pager css in "your comments"
- image support
- user info (partially complete)
- black lists
- white lists
- maybe enable emoticon graphics in the editor
- whatever suggestions i get that aren't retarded
support for adding links in discussions put in support for user-selected css sets. add pager to featured discussions finish pager in "your comments" refactor pager in discussion list to use new protocol. show dates/times in visitor's timezone fix character encoding issues in discussion titles fix shitty tag auto-complete dialog rating system comment editing user comment list tagging
- 2013-08-23 - Set site back up, fixed various bugs.
- 2012-04-10 - Merged 2012-04-02 into master. Most notable changes for that branch were the ability to vote a discussion to featured and the "your comments" stuff. I also added tt tag support and broke up all of the css into sections. Each section uses its own css definitions, instead of sharing on global set. This will make it easier to theme the site differently.
- 2012-04-08 - You can vote discussions to the middle, "featured" section now. To make it to "featured" a discussion has to have been voted up by 1/3 or more of the number of logged-in visitors since the discussion was published. That formula will likely change.
- 2012-04-07 - Finally got the user comment list implemented. It still needs some tweaks, but nothing major. Also put in user settings. I think this ties up all the current links. The v. 1.0 to-do list is getting short!
- 2012-03-30 - Due to a moment of retardation on my part, I had to recreate my git repo on github. Nothing was lost, but I had to merge the 2012-03-25 branch early. So, that gives us comment ratings, comment editing, a better online users tracker (only tracks during a page load, so idlers won't count), discussion ratings, a couple of new html tags (sub, sup) allowed in discussions & comments and several bug fixes. I also added a feature where the number of new comments (since the last time you viewed a discussion) is shown in green to make it easier to find them. I'm starting a new branch today. Don't know if I will merge it Monday or wait til next week.
- 2012-03-20 - enabled rudimentary, top-level-only comments.
- 2012-03-19 - partially implemented user info. partially implemented comments. allow links. removed tinymce. added tagging.
- 2012-03-12 - refactored discussion code to make it more modular. added some ajax validation for the discussion fields. added updated time to discussion displays. fixed some css issues.